[Ewrt-devel] Re: why not just packages for OpenWRT

Irving Popovetsky
Thu May 6 13:32:01 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 05:51, Tommy B wrote:
> Notice the size ? nvram is only 64K and is used by the Linksys fw.
> Openwrt doesn't add/remove any nvram items. Thus when Linksys does it's
> no problem.  Conflicts aside, the OpenWrt partition is 32X the size of
> the nvram partition -- and that's not counting compression.

On one of our heavier-used systems:
# nvram show

size: 13020 bytes (19748 left)

These systems have plenty of NVRAM space available for more
configuration settings.  I still see no need to deviate from this model.

Technical points aside again. OpenWRT is a great project that is doing
cutting edge work, I have a lot of respect for what they are doing.  On
the other hand, they are not out to meet our specific needs and they are
going in a very different direction from what I think we need.  Even
though I can see us sharing code and ideas, I don't see us merging with
or joining OpenWRT (or anyone else). Ewrt is here to specifically meet
the needs of community wireless projects and will listen to them first.

That said, the last thing I want to do is put off or alienate developers
or consumers.  If you have some ideas you'd like to try out, I'd be
happy to take a look at your code or give you a CVS branch to play on.
I don't want to split my time between this project and being a package
maintainer for someone elses project,  but I'd be happy to help if you
(or anyone else) wants to be a Nocat package maintainer for OpenWRT or
whoever.

happy hacking,

--
Irving Popovetsky               Information Security Consultant
ProStructure Consulting             http://www.prostructure.com